• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows Vista Vista or XP?

J

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Thread starter #81
All software is different.
If possible try it on a Windows Vista computer.
You may be surprised at what will work even if the manufacturers say
no.
But if the manufacturer says no to Vista compatibility, there may be a
reason that is not readily apparent.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar


"mh64" wrote in message
news:4AA68A5F-C782-4B49-91C2-52830D2EECDD@microsoft.com...
> Now that I think about it, you are probably right about the camera.
> I was
> just calling manufacturers about compatibility and the kodak person
> didn't
> really sound like they knew what they were talking about. What
> about
> software? Are there any issues with older software not working on
> newer OS?
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:36:01 -0800, mh64
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Well, I have researched and found out my scanner and my digital
>> > camera will
>> > not support Vista. (both are probably 5+ years old but working
>> > just fine for
>> > what i need) So I seriously have to get new periperals if want
>> > to use
>> > vista???

>>
>>
>> Two points:
>>
>> 1. In general, older peripherals are often not supported on newer
>> operating systems. This is true regardless of what the peripheral
>> is,
>> and what operating system you are talking about. If the
>> manufacturer
>> of the peripheral is no longer actively selling that particular
>> product, he is often reluctant to invest money to write a new
>> driver
>> for it. That's a simple economic fact, and again has nothing to do
>> with Vista. No vendor ever promises someone buying his peripheral
>> that
>> he will write drivers for it for every new operating system that
>> comes
>> onto the market.
>>
>> 2. Regarding your camera, you should not need Vista support for it.
>> Worst case, you could buy an inexpensive USB media card reader, and
>> use it to transfer your pictures to the Vista computer.
>>
>> But your choice. If your scanner isn't supported in Vista, you
>> either
>> need to get a new scanner or stay with the operating system you
>> presently have.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>>
 
D

DarkSentinel

Thread starter #82
"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote in message
news:O#A0UEhaIHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Very typical of you yet again.
> A post attacking those you disagree.
> When you are unable to prove what you say, you attack others.
>
> "you have no facts to support your story"
> The FACT is my computers perform well with windows Vista.
> You can attack me, but you are again unable to disprove the facts.
> Read my post again, possibly for the first time.
> You have apparently missed much.
>
> Those competent and secure in their position have no need for attacks.
> That you seem to regularly attack others while contributing NOTHING to the
> issues speaks much of your own insecurities and little of others.


Jupiter, when trying to enlighten smacktards like this you must remember
it's like arguing with a retard. Even if you win, they're still retarded.
(to coin a phrase)

--
Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel
Undo the munge to reply by email



> wrote in message
> news:lmfnq3pb1f75q0ph7h202dqnl4i84pqj3g@4ax.com...
>> AMEN BROTHER
>>
>> oops you have no facts to support your story. well it did sound good,
>> but hey never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
>>
>> I think you are an IDIOT. A FACT you can NOT disprove.

>
 
G

gkersale

Thread starter #83
Well, get Vista with the enterprise pack: Windows XP free downgrade.

If you want to use your computer in 2-3 years, vista "should" be fine.
The downgrade to XP is efficient if you want to use it now.

I'm so sorry to have to say this, but vista doesn't seems to be an OS
for professionals ( as some bugs because of UAC "png not displayed"
that occured in feb 2007 are still present after new updates ) and
doesn't seems to be an OS for Home users ( as even people working
on computers need 2 hours to source a problem like UAC modifications ).

The XP downgrade available for professionals seems to be a good
aletrnative if you want to stay on Microsoft OS. I will not talk about
other free OS to be installed, as I am thinking about it but was too lazy
to install them.

XP has no future (as said by MVPs)
Vista has no present (as said by beta-users)
 
G

gkersale

Thread starter #84
(2)

XP has no future (as MVPs say)
Vista has no present (as user can see)

There is an alternative with XP downgrade for Vista (proposed
to professionals as a sale argument) if you want to stay on a
Microsoft based OS.

Geoffrey.
 
G

gkersale

Thread starter #85
(3)

XP has no future (as MVPs say)
Vista has no present (as user can see)

There is an alternative with XP downgrade for Vista (proposed
to professionals as a sale argument) if you want to stay on a
Microsoft based OS.

Geoffrey.
 
C

Canuck57

Thread starter #86
"gkersale" wrote in message
news:1F60153E-A265-451C-9D05-058026F209AE@microsoft.com...
> Well, get Vista with the enterprise pack: Windows XP free downgrade.
>
> If you want to use your computer in 2-3 years, vista "should" be fine.
> The downgrade to XP is efficient if you want to use it now.


XP downgrade then if you have that option. Buy the time Vista is tuned and
stabalized, you will need a new PC.

> I'm so sorry to have to say this, but vista doesn't seems to be an OS
> for professionals ( as some bugs because of UAC "png not displayed"
> that occured in feb 2007 are still present after new updates ) and
> doesn't seems to be an OS for Home users ( as even people working
> on computers need 2 hours to source a problem like UAC modifications ).
>
> The XP downgrade available for professionals seems to be a good
> aletrnative if you want to stay on Microsoft OS. I will not talk about
> other free OS to be installed, as I am thinking about it but was too lazy
> to install them.
>
> XP has no future (as said by MVPs)


MVPs are pushing the MS line.

Many consumers are pissed.

> Vista has no present (as said by beta-users)


I am a Vista release user, and I want XP Pro 64 bit. Can't get it with
pirating it.

Vista sucks.
 
J

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Thread starter #87
"XP has no future (as said by MVPs)"
Your generalization makes it seem as if all MVPS say this.
I have seen some people say this, MVP and otherwise.
As most generalizations, this is simply FALSE.
Convenient how you ignore the FACT many point out that Windows XP will be
supported for a while and probably will be supported for several more years.
So obviously Windows XP does have a future.
But that goes against the incorrect bias you want to spread.

Those that say one has no future are speaking from ignorance or blind bias.
Those that say windows Vista has no presant are also speaking from blind
bias or ignorance.
The generalizations go a long way toward making those ASSUMPTIONS simply
FALSE.

Windows Vista performs well on two older computers of mine.
A simple fact, an experience shared by many.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar


"gkersale" wrote in message
news:1F60153E-A265-451C-9D05-058026F209AE@microsoft.com...
> Well, get Vista with the enterprise pack: Windows XP free downgrade.
>
> If you want to use your computer in 2-3 years, vista "should" be fine.
> The downgrade to XP is efficient if you want to use it now.
>
> I'm so sorry to have to say this, but vista doesn't seems to be an OS
> for professionals ( as some bugs because of UAC "png not displayed"
> that occured in feb 2007 are still present after new updates ) and
> doesn't seems to be an OS for Home users ( as even people working
> on computers need 2 hours to source a problem like UAC modifications ).
>
> The XP downgrade available for professionals seems to be a good
> aletrnative if you want to stay on Microsoft OS. I will not talk about
> other free OS to be installed, as I am thinking about it but was too lazy
> to install them.
>
> XP has no future (as said by MVPs)
> Vista has no present (as said by beta-users)
 
M

measekite

Thread starter #88
Frank wrote:
> thetruthhurts @homail.com wrote:
>
>> Yeah pretty much. Trust me Vista looks cool and the rest is down
>> hill. Stay with XP.

>
> How would a fukkin loser like you know you moron.
> You don't even use Vista...you queen of idiots!
> Frank
Gee Whiz

how come he did not go hehehe...LOL! in this ng because he should go ha
ha ha. And the imbecile is calling someone else a moron
 
M

measekite

Thread starter #89
Frank wrote:
> NoStop wrote:
>
>
>>
>> His point is that along with a P.O.S. toy operating system, he also
>> likes to
>> use P.O.S. hardware.
>>
>> Cheers.

>
> So he's using that POS toy os urbuttoo huh?
Better than windows except for the hardware mfg support.
> Well good luck having any hardware work on that crap os!
> Frank
 
M

measekite

Thread starter #90
Frank wrote:
> Alias wrote:
>> Frank wrote:
>>
>>> NoStop wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> His point is that along with a P.O.S. toy operating system, he also
>>>> likes to
>>>> use P.O.S. hardware.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>>
>>> So he's using that POS toy os urbuttoo huh?
>>> Well good luck having any hardware work on that crap os!
>>> Frank

>>
>>
>> I just nuked an XP installation and installed Ubuntu. XP's silly BSOD
>> said it was a hardware problem and it wouldn't boot into Normal or
>> Safe Mode. I wiped XP and installed Ubuntu and Ubuntu had NO problem
>> with the hardware and the client, needless to say, was thrilled.
>>
>> Alias
>
> Having those "delusional fantasies" again mr liar, mr troll, mr
> spammer, mr bigot...LOL!
> Frank
da shmuck calls poster liars and trolls for not agreeing with him.

The people in this ng need to know that this.

Some people like mac
Some like various flavors of windows for various reasons. I happen to
like Visual Studio and SQL Server

But at home after testing Linux Ubuntu in a dual boot system I found my
self very stable with Ubuntu and never needing to go back to windows.
And to pay over a $1000 for application software on top of $400 for
Vista Ultimate I decided to do other things with my money.

But the Viet Nam Vet who is over 60 is a bit senile.

He volunteered to be a target for the Viet Cong traineers. Yes they
used him for target practice. That explains why he as a small hole in
his head and why is mouth is so stupid. It is a total disconnect from
is meager gray matter.
 
C
Thread starter #91
Both. I have dual booted my machine with XP Pro SP3 for my older programs and
peripherals, and with Vista Ultimate. I much prefer the GUI and the search
feature in Vista and I use it most of the time even with it's problems.
However, I still use XP for many applications that I can't use on Vista. XP
will not be supported after this year, and Windows 7 is slated to come out in
2010...
"unknown" wrote:

>
 
F

forester

Thread starter #92
Hi
Don't listen to Mr Angry....sorry Rich T.
Go for vista I've been using it for nearly a year and in the beginning
it was, I must admit, a bit flaky but I find it very stable now and
although I have XP as a dual boot I never use it. Oh,and all my
accessories work fine.
As the others have said it needs plenty of power to be at its best
though and I’m not too sure about Vista Home.
Forester



--
forester
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
 
F

forester

Thread starter #93
Hi, me again.
When I posted the above message I hadn't noticed there where loads more
pages, wow, this has really got the fingers tapping.
All I can say is I have no problems with my computers running Vista
Ultimate if you have problems, why is that?
Forester


--
forester
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
 
G

Gordon

Thread starter #94
"forester" wrote in message
news:forester.3axu4f@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> Hi, me again.
> When I posted the above message I hadn't noticed there where loads more
> pages,


There aren't any PAGES. What you are doing is accessing a global Usenet
NEWSGROUP that Vistaheads have poached and are passing off as their forum.
 
C

Colin Barnhorst

Thread starter #95
It is not true that XP will not be supported after this year. XP SP2 and
SP3 will continue to receive mainstream support until April 2009 and XP SP3
will receive extended support through April of 2014. XP will not be retired
until then. All that is happening this year is that distribution of retail
copies of XP will end. Some retailers will continue to have stock for a
while.

There is an incompatibility between XP and Vista such that booting XP can
destroy your recovery files, such as restore points, backup and restore
center backup files, shadow copies, etc. To prevent this you can use
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185
It involves a simple registry key.

"CoCo" wrote in message
news:D99FDF65-863B-491B-BE4D-CEA9A584E0A9@microsoft.com...
> Both. I have dual booted my machine with XP Pro SP3 for my older programs
> and
> peripherals, and with Vista Ultimate. I much prefer the GUI and the
> search
> feature in Vista and I use it most of the time even with it's problems.
> However, I still use XP for many applications that I can't use on Vista.
> XP
> will not be supported after this year, and Windows 7 is slated to come out
> in
> 2010...
> "unknown" wrote:
>
>>
 
V

visualsummer

Thread starter #97
I much preferred Windows XP. The biggest problem is trying to join my
favorite bridge site only to find in fine print that I cannot get in with
Vista.

"mh64" wrote:

> We are getting a new computer and generally only buy a new computer every 5-6
> years, so we take whatever OS comes on the computer at that time(currently
> using XP with no real issues). I keep seeing all the negatives & problems
> with Vista, is it really that bad for a non-technical user like myself?
> Should I be opting for XP instead, because if I do it seems to really limit
> available computer selection?
 
C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Thread starter #98
You cannot get 'in' with IE7, or IE8.... or Firefox? It's nothing to do
with the O/S, it's to do with whatever browser you're using.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
http://www.coribright.com/windows


"visualsummer" wrote in message
news:43236DAB-3C6F-4AE3-9401-5A64B00B06A6@microsoft.com...
>I much preferred Windows XP. The biggest problem is trying to join my
> favorite bridge site only to find in fine print that I cannot get in with
> Vista.
>
> "mh64" wrote:
>
>> We are getting a new computer and generally only buy a new computer every
>> 5-6
>> years, so we take whatever OS comes on the computer at that
>> time(currently
>> using XP with no real issues). I keep seeing all the negatives & problems
>> with Vista, is it really that bad for a non-technical user like myself?
>> Should I be opting for XP instead, because if I do it seems to really
>> limit
>> available computer selection?
 
S

Saucy

Thread starter #99
Huh?

'Sounds like you need a new bridge site!? LOL No, no - it's probably a
browser issue.

Try using Internet Explorer 8 - if that doesn't work, visit the website
again using IE 8, only this time click on the 'Compatibility View' button at
the right of the address bar. The button looks like a torn piece of paper -
this will change the rendering engine to IE 7 mode and the page should
render correctly and enable you to use the website.

Saucy


"visualsummer" wrote in message
news:43236DAB-3C6F-4AE3-9401-5A64B00B06A6@microsoft.com...
> I much preferred Windows XP. The biggest problem is trying to join my
> favorite bridge site only to find in fine print that I cannot get in with
> Vista.
>
> "mh64" wrote:
>
>> We are getting a new computer and generally only buy a new computer every
>> 5-6
>> years, so we take whatever OS comes on the computer at that
>> time(currently
>> using XP with no real issues). I keep seeing all the negatives & problems
>> with Vista, is it really that bad for a non-technical user like myself?
>> Should I be opting for XP instead, because if I do it seems to really
>> limit
>> available computer selection?