Windows XP Date and Time, No Date

T

Tim Meddick

To re-size Taskbar (vertical height) :

Right-click and "uncheck" the item "Lock the Taskbar" .

Then hover the mouse over the top edge until it turns into an up / down [sizing]
arrow.

While the cursor has changed press and hold the left mouse button and drag the mouse
(slowly) upwards till you reach the desired height.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)




"W. eWatson" wrote in message
news:h5v7gh$4b2$2@news.eternal-september.org...
> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:42:43 -0700, "W. eWatson"
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When I look at the task bar, it shows only the time. I'd like it to show the day
>>> of the week too.

>>
>>
>> You have two choices:
>>
>> 1. Drag the Task to being two lines wide.
>>
>> 2. Download and install a freeware program that shows the date as well
>> as the time. There are several such programs, but the one I recommend
>> is Tclock (note that the often recommended TClockex is a different,
>> and not as good, program).
>>
>>
> I don't see a way to widen it. Properties is of no help. I'd rather not install
> another program.
 
K

Ken Blake, MVP

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:00:34 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:42:43 -0700, "W. eWatson"
> > wrote:
> >
> >> When I look at the task bar, it shows only the time. I'd like it to show
> >> the day of the week too.

> >
> >
> > You have two choices:
> >
> > 1. Drag the Task to being two lines wide.
> >
> > 2. Download and install a freeware program that shows the date as well
> > as the time. There are several such programs, but the one I recommend
> > is Tclock (note that the often recommended TClockex is a different,
> > and not as good, program).
> >
> >
> I don't see a way to widen it. Properties is of no help.


No, it has nothing to do with properties. First, right-click on the
task bar and if Task bar locked is checked, then uncheck it.

Then put your cursor on the edge of the task bar and wiggle it a
little until it turns into a two-headed arrow. When it does, drag the
edge slightly toward the center of the screen.


> I'd rather not
> install another program.



It's up to you, of course, but there's very little reason not to
install a good program like TClock. It's free, it works well, and it
doesn't take up much disk space nor hurt your performance.

Many people would choose that because they don't want a two line task
bar.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 
U

Unknown

Quite OK. No-one knows ALL the ins and outs of Windows.
"Tim Meddick" wrote in message
news:%23YTqmb4GKHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I apologise it does indeed display the date also (if pulled to two / three
>times
> single height).
>
> Don't quite know how I could have missed this, but I did. Sorry
>
> ==
>
> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)
>
>
>
>
> "Unknown" wrote in message
> news:O9QOi03GKHA.1488@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> You are absolutely wrong Tim! I don't have anything but XP installed and
>> if I
>> triple the task bar
>> I get time, day and date. Doubling the task bar gives time and day.
>> "Tim Meddick" wrote in message
>> news:et4gKq3GKHA.4760@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Bennett,
>>> Windows XP does *not* display anything but hours, minutes and
>>> am / pm
>>> (if 12hr time
>>> is selected).
>>>
>>> Therefore, you simply *must* have some pre-installed application
>>> installed, or you
>>> are *not* running Windows XP!
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Bennett Marco" wrote in message
>>> news:271685lj27iam2angm03r8fed5hak5gm8c@4ax.com...
>>>> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:42:43 -0700, "W. eWatson"
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> When I look at the task bar, it shows only the time. I'd like it to
>>>>>> show
>>>>>> the day of the week too.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>You have two choices:
>>>>>
>>>>>1. Drag the Task to being two lines wide.
>>>>>
>>>>>2. Download and install a freeware program that shows the date as well
>>>>>as the time. There are several such programs, but the one I recommend
>>>>>is Tclock (note that the often recommended TClockex is a different,
>>>>>and not as good, program).
>>>>
>>>> HUH?
>>>>
>>>> I have XP on my laptop, and with a double-high taskbar, it shows time
>>>> on top, the day beneath, and the date beneath that - and I don't have
>>>> Tclock or "ex" installed.
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>
>
>
 
W

W. eWatson

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:00:34 -0700, "W. eWatson"
> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:42:43 -0700, "W. eWatson"
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> When I look at the task bar, it shows only the time. I'd like it to show
>>>> the day of the week too.
>>>
>>> You have two choices:
>>>
>>> 1. Drag the Task to being two lines wide.
>>>
>>> 2. Download and install a freeware program that shows the date as well
>>> as the time. There are several such programs, but the one I recommend
>>> is Tclock (note that the often recommended TClockex is a different,
>>> and not as good, program).
>>>
>>>

>> I don't see a way to widen it. Properties is of no help.
>
>
> No, it has nothing to do with properties. First, right-click on the
> task bar and if Task bar locked is checked, then uncheck it.
>
> Then put your cursor on the edge of the task bar and wiggle it a
> little until it turns into a two-headed arrow. When it does, drag the
> edge slightly toward the center of the screen.
>
>
>> I'd rather not
>> install another program.

>
>
> It's up to you, of course, but there's very little reason not to
> install a good program like TClock. It's free, it works well, and it
> doesn't take up much disk space nor hurt your performance.
>
> Many people would choose that because they don't want a two line task
> bar.
>
Well, I wrestled the taskbar into a higher vertical dimension. Looks
weird. I think I'll try TClock. I hope it fires up when I bring up XP.
 
T

Tim Meddick

You will have to place TClock into one of the Start-up locations in order for it to
"...fire up when Windows starts".

This is because there's *no* option in TClock to "Automatically start when Windows
starts"

i.e. It's a simple enough affair to ether place a shortcut to it in your :

'Start Menu' > 'Programs' > 'Startup' folder

....or, make a registry entry under the key :

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

....whichever you feel more comfortable with.

This will start TClock as you load your user profile...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)



"W. eWatson" wrote in message
>
> < clipped >
>
> Well, I wrestled the taskbar into a higher vertical dimension. Looks weird. I think
> I'll try TClock. I hope it fires up when I bring up XP.
>
 
Top Bottom